About the Experience
The holiest gurudwara(shrine) of Sikhs, The Golden Temple is regarded as the abode of God’s spiritual attribute and pilgrims from all over the world travel here to connect with the omnipresent, almighty and to take dips in the holywater. The four entrances representing the four directions to get into the Golden Temple symbolises the openness of the Sikhs towards all people and religions. Every morning and evening Palki Ceremony is executed to bring one closer to the preachings of the almighty. With the Over 100,000 people visit the holy shrine daily for worship, and partake jointly in the free community kitchen and meal (Langar) regardless of any distinctions. This community Kitchen is the world’s largest and can serve free food upto 300,000 people in a day and is open to people of all religions and castes. Vegetarian food is served to ensure people with dietary limitations can eat together as equals.
One has to follow certain guidelines while visiting the Golden Temple because of the religious sentiments it carries
• Maintaining the purity of the sacred space and of one’s body while in it:
• Upon entering the premises, removing one’s shoes (leaving them off for the duration of one’s visit) and washing one’s feet in the small pool of water provided;
• Not drinking alcohol, eating meat, or smoking cigarettes or other drugs while in the shrine
• Dressing appropriately:
• Full body must be covered, no shorts
• Wearing a head covering (a sign of respect) the gurdwara provides head scarves for visitors who have not brought a suitable covering
• Not wearing shoes
• How to act:
• When listening to Gurbani, one must also sit on the ground while in the Darbar Sahib as a sign of deference to both the Guru Granth Sahib and God.
Location : Golden Temple is located in city of Amritsar in the state of Punjab.
Accessibility : Amritsar has International airport and well connected to all major cities. It is also accessible by regular trains from Delhi and by train and road from Chandigarh.
Entry and information : Golden temple is open throughout the day and night.
Not to miss : We strongly suggest to attend morning and evening ceremony at Golden Temple and also to take excursion to Wagah border.